I've been following the protests and uprisings in Iran fairly closely over the last few days, and have to say I'm thoroughly amazed. I'm amazed at the resolve of the Iranian people to continue to face off with the Basiji Militia and Revolutionary Guard despite setbacks that would cripple a lesser movement. Also, the use of internet social networking websites (twitter, facebook, youtube, etc) to communicate with not only each other, but western news outlets as well. Normal citizens are reporting to the BBC and CNN in a manner never seen before.
Also, the videotaped (and immediately youtube'd) shooting death of a woman in her mid-twenties named Neda (roughly translates to "the voice") by Basiji Militia has given the opposition a rallying cry, and a second face to unite under. Interesting to note, Neda's family was explicitly forbidden by the powers that be in Iran, I'm assuming the Guardian Council, to hold a traditional funeral ceremony for her. Apparently, this also prevents Neda from becoming eligible for martyrdom, and accordingly, status as a martyr. My common sense tells me the religious authorities in Iran, most of whom support the incumbent leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, want Neda's face erased from the memory of the thousands of people currently chanting her name in downtown Tehran.
Opposition leader Mir-Hossein Moussavi doesn't seem to be doing too much to better his situation. His calls for a revote have fallen on deaf ears, and that doesn't appear to be changing.
Between four and six members of the Iranian world cup soccer team have been involuntarily "retired" but Iran's Supreme Leader for sporting green wristbands during a recent match against South Korea. The color green was selected by Moussavi as a campaign color. However, the color green is also a symbol of Shia Islam. In essence, these soccer players were removed from the team for wearing wristbands symbolizing the religion the entire country of Iran is based on... because it may have been remotely related to Moussavi's campaign. Interesting.
Finally, this post on Facebook caught my eye, and I thought I'd share it:
Aria Massumi wrote on June 21, 2009 at 2:21pm
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..."
-- US Declaration of Independence
I like this a lot, I wish every government would base its foundations on that. Iran does the opposite by taking the life of its own people. It makes me very sad because I am Iranian, living in Germany."
Really? An Iranian who doesn't see America as The Great Satan? A person from the Middle East who doesn't hate America?
Better not tell Uncle Sam.
[This is unedited. I need to go to sleep. I'll edit later.]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment